Friday, April 4, 2014

My Vegetarian Pizza recipe, it's in a contest... I'd appreciate your votes!

I'm finally posting about this on the final day of voting for this contest, but better late than never.  I entered a recipe contest for a vegetarian/vegan meat substitute called Neat.  This stuff is awesome.  I've made meatballs with it that seriously taste just like the real deal!  Anyway, they had a call for entries, and they were requesting creative recipes.  Because I've never seen a vegetarian or vegan pepperoni that didn't have soy (another thing I don't eat), I decided to send them my Neat-eroni Supreme pizza recipe.  The creator and owner of the company already chose the #1 and 2 recipes, but I'm in the running (with 4 other recipes) for the #3 slot, which will be determined by a public vote.  Voting ends tonight (Friday April 4th) at midnight EST.  So, if you have a facebook account, you can vote for my recipe here: http://eatneat.com/blog/the-neat-est-dish-fan-vote-3rd-place/  Go to the bottom of the neat page and you'll see "Stop back on our Facebook page to vote for your favorite dish!" you can click on that link and it will take you to the facebook poll.   Pretty Please!!   Thanks! ...and here's my recipe:


Vegetarian neat-eroni Supreme Pizza 
Make the Neat-eroni ahead of time to allow it to cool enough for slicing.

Neat-eroni:
Ingredients
1 package Neat brand original flavor meat substitute
¾ c. Garbanzo bean flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand)
2 ½ c. water
1 T avocado oil
1 ½ t. liquid smoke
1 t. organic barbecue sauce (I like Annie’s)
1 T. paprika
¼ t. to ½ t. cayenne (depending on how hot you like it)
1 t. sea salt
1 T. cane sugar
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. fennel seed
1 t. whole red or black peppercorns
1 t. green peppercorns
1 t. crushed red pepper

Method:
Bring the 2 ½ c. water to boil over medium high heat.  Whisk the garbanzo bean flour into the boiling water.  Cook for one minute stirring constantly.  Lower heat to medium low and continue cooking for 5 minutes.  Set aside and let cool slightly.  Either with mortar and pestle or with a coffee grinder, grind anise seed, fennel, peppercorns and red pepper flakes.  In a bowl, combine the cooked garbanzo bean mixture with the packet of neat, avocado oil, liquid smoke, barbecue sauce and all spices.  Mix well.  Divide mix into 2 or 3 equal portions, spoon each portion onto a well oiled sheet of heavy aluminum foil.  Wrap each portion into a log and wrap tightly by twisting the ends of the foil.  Using a steamer insert, steam in a pot for 45 minutes.  Let cool.

To make the pizza:
Ingredients:
1 batch pizza dough (see link below)
pizza sauce (my original recipe below)
neat-eroni – sliced thin
your favorite toppings (I used organic green pepper, organic red onion and organic mushrooms)
grated romano cheese (Locatelli is best)
grated mozzarella cheese
oregano
 
Method:  
Make the dough first, using your favorite pizza dough recipe.  This is the best pizza dough recipe I’ve ever found, and its what I use faithfully for a great pizza:  http://www.frenchlogic.com/2011/04/homemade-pizza-and-dough-recipe.html  While the dough rises, make the sauce (see below) and chop the veggie toppings and neat-eroni in thin slices.  Once dough has risen to doubled in size, punch down and shape into pizza crusts (if using the dough recipe in the link I’ve added, it yields 3 pies).  Spread pizza sauce on crusts and top with neat-eroni and veggies, sprinkle with both cheeses and oregano.  Bake at 500˚ until crust is browned and cheese melted to your preference.
 
To make the Pizza sauce:
Ingredients:
2 24 oz. jars pureed tomato
1/3 c. avocado oil
2 t. garlic
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar
1 T. oregano
1 t. basil
Add all ingredients to sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until oil has been incorporated into the tomato.  Adjust seasoning to your preference.

If you make the recipe, leave me a comment and let me know how you like it!  And thanks for any votes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to add a comment! I have added the word verification and registered user requirement to prevent bots from targeting my blog. Thank you for your understanding and patience while processing these simple steps to add your comment on the blog.