Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Simple brooch re-do

This month's PCAGOE guild challenge is "Re-do", or basically to revisit an old idea or project and improve it by changing the old piece or re-designing a new piece based on the same idea.  I didn't have a whole lot of time for this challenge, because as usual, I left it to the last minute and in that last minute I was sick with a cold. But I didn't want to mess up my streak of consistent entries (I think I've had an entry every month for the past 2 years + 2 months!). So I grabbed one of my older pieces that I wasn't quite happy with and quickly did a revision. Here's the original brooch design:

The original piece was designed around a piece of metal window screen that I had moulded into a dome using a jewelry block tool. I never quite liked the red on the outside of this piece, and as you can see above, that red portion ended up breaking... so I decided to pry it off and redo the outside of the piece. Unfortunately, when I pried off the red outer layer, the 2nd pink and purple outer layer also came off, so I lost more than I had intended.

I decided that a nice glossy black would compliment the purples best and I set to work with one layer of black, then added another layer. I decided that I wanted to make the edges of these new layers more organically shaped. I then added a touch of silver ink to give contrast to all of the edges. A coating of verathane added that glossy shine that I wanted.

I do like this version better than the first. I like that it looks more pod-like, but I'm still wondering if it needs something more... What do you think? Leave me a comment below. Voting opens for this challenge on December 1st and is open untill December 7th at midnight EST. I'll post a reminder here on the blog! 


  1. I like both versions but I get wanting to do something different. Have you thought of ripping the clay so the edges look torn? I really like that look and it might go well with the metal mesh. Just an idea.

    1. Goodness it's been a busy month! I'm only getting to respond to your comment a month after you posted it... Thanks Line, for the comment! Actually, the edges of the black clay were raw edges, to give it a more organic feel. (so you had the same idea I had... great minds...) ;) The only problem was that I didn't want to enlarge the piece any further, so the clay was so thin that it ended up being kind of hard to see the raw edges, that's why I used the sliver ink to highlight the edges.


Thank you for choosing to add a comment! I have added the word verification and registered user requirement to prevent bots from targeting my blog. Thank you for your understanding and patience while processing these simple steps to add your comment on the blog.